return to Goddess Reference
or use Her Cyclopedia Index
SYMBOLS OF THE GODDESS -- E...
- eagle (Hattite > Hittite) -- sacred to Hannahannas
- eagle (Greek) -- sacred to Hebe.
- eagle (Crete < Phoenicia) -- sacred to Europe (Zeus ravished Her in the form
- eagle (Roman) -- sacred to Roma (and She sometimes holds an eagle-topped
- EAST see also MOUNTAINS
- EIGHT, the number. See also MIRROR, octagonal
- A number that, like the octagon, is associated with Goddesses of light in
many cultures. BGH/1.
- Eight is the number of fertility in the Mediterranean.
- the number eight (Greek): sacred to Aphrodite, the sacred anemone of Pelion
has 8 petals the cuttle-fish has 8 tentacles.
- eight-rayed disk -- sacred to Chaldean A. BGH/1
- eight-rayed orb -- sacred to Gula-Bau. The eight rayed orb of vital heat; the
heat of the body that sustains life and as fever can destroy it. BGH/124.
- Old English: aelf. Root: Albho, 'White'.
- Regarded in early Germanic believe as powerful and terrifying.
- Robert Graves calls elves "alder-fairies".
- elf -- Made sacred to Alys because of Her association with alders.
Return to the top of this document.