return to Goddess Reference
or use Her Cyclopedia Index
SYMBOLS OF THE GODDESS -- L ...
- lamb (Christian) -- sacred to saint Agnes. Two lambs are blessed by the pope after having been presented at the altar, during the singing of the Agnus Dei on Her feast day, by nuns from the convent of Saint Agnes and then put out to pasture till time of shearing. Their wool is later woven into the pallia.
- bay-laurel -- sacred to Daphoine.
- lily (Greek): sacred to Aphrodite.
- lime-tree (Greek): sacred to Aphrodite.
- LIONESS, LION
- lionness (Egyptian) -- sacred to Hathor.
- lioness -- sacred to Dilbah, qv Agasaya because 7 lions [but surely
lionessess] draw Her dawn chariot.
- lion (Syria): sacred to Anath.
- lion (Syria): sacred to Qadesh, qv Anath.
- loom (Holladay Paganism) -- made sacred to Amaterasu-OmikamaI since She is a weaving
- loom (Greek, Lydian) -- sacred to Arachne, made sacred to Her as a weaving
- loon (Celtic: Irish) -- sacred to Bean-Sidhe, because of its association with water and its frightening cry.
- lunar-crescent (silver or gold) (Celtic: Wales & Brittany) -- sacred to Rhiannon.
Return to the top of this document.