return to Goddess Reference
or use Her Cyclopedia Index
SYMBOLS OF THE GODDESS -- P...
- pallia -- church, originally peculiar to the pope.
- panther skin (Egypt from Syria): sacred to ANAT. She is dressed
- red-parrot (Sudan > Egypt) -- sacred to Anuket.
- pea-cock (pre-Hellenic Greek: especially Mycenae, Argos and Samos) -- sacred to Hera.
- pear-tree (pre-Hellenic Greek: especially Mycenae, Argos and Samos) -- sacred to Hera.
- PESTLE AND MORTAR
- pestle and mortar -- sacred to Baba.
- PHALLIC OBJECTS, see basket[?c:\gds\symbols\b]
- Pleiades (Hindustan Krttikas) -- sacred to the Krttikas, qv Ambika. The six Krttikas were the foster-mothers, though some say the mother, of Karttikeya, God of war. The month Karttika (mid-october to mid-november) in which the full moon is near the Krttikas (Pleiades) is considered the most suitable
for making war.
- poison (Hindustani) -- sacred to Bagala.
- poplar -- sacred to Dryope.
- white-poplar (post-Homeric Greek) -- sacred to Heliades.
- black-poplar (Thrace) -- sacred to Hecate.
- poppy (Greek) -- sacred to Aphrodite.
- pomegranate (Greek) -- sacred to Aphrodite.
- PURPLE, the color, see also MUREX
- the color purple (Greek, Lydian) -- sacred to Arachne.
- the purple trade (Cythera) -- sacred to Aphrodite-Urania, qv Ourania
Return to the top of this document.