return to Goddess Reference
or use Her Cyclopedia Index
SYMBOLS OF THE GODDESS -- R...
- rainbow (Greek) -- sacred to Iris.
- RAM, see also SHEEP and LAMB
- General: symbol of the creative impulse, and of the spirit at the moment of its inception.
- ram (Egyptian) - Sacred to Osiris, consort of Isis, and in which he was incarnate (see also BULL - at the city of Mendes) 122.
- raven (Celtic: Irish) -- sacred to Danu.
- raven (Japanese) -- sacred to Amaterasu-Omikamai, revered as Her messenger.
- RED, the colour. See also MAIZE and HENNA and ROUGE
- the colour red (Hindustani) -- sacred to Durga.
- the color red (Hindustani) -- sacred to Bhairavi.
- rice (Hindustani) - sacred to Annapurna, probably as a symbol of FOOD.
- the Peloponesian Tigris (Cretan) -- sacred to the Harpyiai.
- Rose: various shrubs or vines of the genus Rosa, having prickly stems, compound leaves, and variously coloured, often fragrant blossoms.
- rose (Greek): sacred to Aphrodite.
- ROUGE see HENNA and ROUGE
- Rowan: often called the Mountain Ash. A small tree, Sorbus aucuparis, associated with the Druids. Medieval Christianity considered it potent against witchcraft.
- rowan (Finnish) -- sacred to Rauni.
- rowan-berry (Norse) -- sacred to Idunn.
Return to the top of this document.